λθ′

I got shot in the ass.

Actually, the arrow stuck me in the back of my thigh, but everyone prefers to say that I got shot in the ass.

The Trojans launched a major attack against us the other night.

After hearing the alarm, I rushed out to see the dark outline of about ten-thousand soldiers and a few hundred horsemen charging across the plain towards our camp.

This was Hector's revenge.

I immediately sent the order for our men to form a line, and ran to report to Odysseus. -I met the General halfway.

Odysseus was already on his horse and was riding with Achilles, Ajax and Diomedes towards the front of our camp.

I called to the General as he rode by, but he just gave me a nod and kept riding towards the Magnesian line.

By the time I got back to our Ithacans, Polites and Misenus were struggling to get the men into formation. It was frantic, and most of the men weren't fully armored. -I saw one guy with nothing but a spear and a helmet.

As our encampment was part of the front line, a stream of soldiers from other camps were pouring in and adding to the confusion.

After quickly grabbing my own sword and shield, I ran up next to Polites. -That's when the Trojans hit us.

They hit us hard.

More like a wave than a group of men, I watched the Trojans crash into our meager defense and sweep it backwards. After a few seconds, a wall of swords, shields, spears and men just swept over Polites and I.

I was immediately knocked off my feet and swept back several meters, but I wasn't hurt. Grabbing the nearest arm, I pulled myself up. When I nodded to thank the guy, I realized he was a Trojan.

He was as surprised as I was. -Maybe a bit moreso, because I ran him through before he could react.

That was the first Trojan I've struck since this war started.

Well, I guess I felt emboldened, because I then yelled something cheesy like: "Glory to Ithaca!" and charged forward into to fray.

That's when I got shot in the ass.

I've heard stories where men are seriously wounded in battle, only to discover it much later. I've been told the rush of battle can mask pain. -I didn't have that experience.

When I got shot, I felt it right away. Dropping like a rock, it was all I could do not to cry like a baby.

After that, I was pretty much a spectator. -However, I did finish one Trojan off who fell down next to me.

In retrospect, I was actually pretty fortunate, because soon after I fell, a group of our archers decided to set up around me. Teucer and Meriones were there. Those guys are amazing. -I would bet those two killed more than forty Trojans throughout the night.

At one point, I even saw Hector ride by. Well, he didn't actually ride by, -Teucer killed his horse. Hector was visibly pissed. Without missing a beat, he turned and started chopping through the crowd to get at Teucer. All the while, Teucer was shooting arrow after arrow at him.

Somehow, Hector managed to evade Teucer's barage. Maybe Teucer was too freaked out. In any case, before he could get close enough to our archers, Ajax and a group of his men swarmed Hector and his fellow Trojans.

In frustration, Hector picked up a rock and threw it at Teucer. It broke Teucer's hand.

Anyway, the battle lasted until dawn, at which time the Trojans made a fairly ordered retreat.

I can't really say that either side won. -Both of us lost a lot of men.

I spent yesterday in a medical tent. Instead of pulling the arrow out, the medic said it had to be pushed through. Mother of Zeus, I would rather have been shot again. I can hobble around a bit, but it still hurts like hell. -I am writing this lying on my stomach.

I haven't seen Odysseus, but Polites stopped by and told me the General had visited our camp. He just asked Polites a few questions about our casualties and then he disappeared.

Polites told Odysseus I was wounded, but I guess the General didn't feel it necessary to visit his first-in-command. -That guy is such a self-centered prick.

Ironically, I heard Achilles and Hector never met on the field of battle. Apparently they couldn't find one another.

I wonder if Hector will let things be. -I wish he would have just dropped by and asked for a duel.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I saw one guy with nothing but a spear and a helmet."

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home