ϛ′

Another full day.

This morning, there was quite a bit of excitement about the beachhead. Everything is kind of hush-hush about the horse, and it seems to be causing quite a bit of confusion. Right now, the general consensus about camp is that something large needs to be built, and that we need a lot of wood.

There’s not much wood left here, so no doubt someone is going to have to go around and collect it from the neighboring islands.

From what I gather, this is going to be the Minyans.

I am not sure why, but there was some sort of trouble down at the beach after breakfast. A fight broke out, and one of the Minyan ships actually caught on fire.

Polites heard that a rumor was going around that the Minyans had decided to abandon the cause. Seeing them rigging their ships probably confirmed the other soldier’s suspicions. Anyway, I guess that some of the Magnesians and Arcadians were pretty pissed about the Minyans sailing all about, and a pretty good skirmish broke out.

It wasn’t until Achilles arrived upon the scene and kicked some indiscriminate ass that things were brought back under control. I have to wonder what those Magensians think of their hometown hero giving them a beat-down.

Anyway, as much as I would have loved to watch the action, I had my appointment with Odysseus.

When I got to his tent, he wasn’t there.

I stood outside and amused myself watching the aides and petty officers scramble about the commander’s camp. By the look on these guy’s faces, it was obvious that they didn’t have a clue as to why they were running all over the place. They must sense that they are dealing with something important, but it was clear to me that they don’t know that thing is. Still, those who did pass by me looked straight ahead very purposefully, just so that I wouldn’t have the impression that they weren’t in-the-know.

It wasn’t until after lunch time had come and gone that Odysseus finally returned.

He was walking with a few Generals, talking loudly and making large sweeping gestures with his hands.

Most of these Generals had large grins upon their faces, and it seemed the closer that they were to Odysseus, the larger their grin. -It looked as if Odysseus was the source of some pleasure, and his entourage was a medium in which his joy could radiate. I noted that Ajax was on the periphery of this group, and perhaps due to his distance, very little joy seemed to have reached him. Achilles was there too, looking none the worse for wear despite his morning battle. He wasn’t smiling either.

However, this doesn't mean that Achilles was unhappy. Unless he is in a fight, or heading into a fight, Achilles never smiles.

Odysseus was lost in his monologue, and he didn’t see me until he was almost standing on my feet.

I think that he unconsciously expected that I would yield the right of way to him as every other bystander had done. At first he looked somewhat perturbed when he was forced to stop or walk over me. However, upon recognition, his large grin quickly returned.

“Eurylochus, oh shit! I forgot that I had called for you this morning!” he says. At this, a few of the generals chuckled.

“Oh, shit, Sir.” I replied.

It really strokes a commander’s ego to pull rank in the presence of his colleagues, however, I was not about to afford Odysseus this pleasure at my expense. Not after waiting half the day for him.

Odysseus tilted his head and looked at me, his smile fading slightly. But, he then laughed a forced laugh and turning to his entourage, loudly dismissed himself.

As his entourage dispersed, the General waved me inside his tent.

Inside his tent, Odysseus lost the attitude.

“Seriously, sorry about this morning, Eurylochus.”

“It’s no problem, Sir.” I replied.

Odysseus nodded, and walking over to his desk, began casually leafing through some papers. He frowned slightly and then slapping his hands upon his desk, began: “Eurylochus, big things are happening here. -Things that might change the course of this war. I have a lot of things to mind to in these next weeks as we build this Wooden Horse, and I could really use your help.”

“Of course, Sir.” I replied.

Odysseus nodded, but then thought more of it, and shook his head. “No, not help. Not just help.” He stammered: “What I really need, is your support. Yes, that’s it. I need your support Eurylochus.”

I could tell that the General was trying to make sure that I was not only ready to do my duty as an officer; he knew that I would. What he really wanted was to know that I was supporting him as a friend. Even Odysseus must have realized that the he wasn’t being completely honest by claiming the Wooden Horse idea to be his own. However, I also knew that he wasn’t going to speak of it, so as not to risk me actually calling him on it.

“You have my support, General.” I reassured him.

Spreading his arms, Odysseus appeared as if he was about to launch in to a lengthy explanation, but upon hearing my answer, he paused and grinned. “Good, good. You’re a good man, Eurylochus. No, you’re a good friend.” Odysseus beamed, and a look of confidence returned to his face.

“Thank you, Sir.” I answered.

Odysseus then waved me over to his desk.

Odysseus and I then spent the better half of the afternoon going over plans for the Wooden Horse, and over all the various administrative details that were involved. He was right in saying that there are a lot of things to do over the next few weeks as the Wooden Horse is built. The entire plan is going to be a monumental task.

Odysseus seemed genuinely grateful for my help.

I am sure that he was equally grateful that I didn’t press him on the matter of how he had gotten the idea.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

Thank you for sharing thiis

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home