νθ′

A slow day.

Today’s activities focused on preparation for the Achilles Honor Games.

Like the Patroclus Honor Games, today there were tables set up about the commander’s camp where Achaeans could sign up for various events.

Most of the events were the same, with the new addition of a team wrestling competition. Wrestling was the most popular event last time around, and I think the organizers wanted to capitalize on that.

Unlike the Patroclus Honor Games, many more soldiers seem to be registering for the events. Even in the javelin toss, Agamemnon’s signature was followed by at least twenty others. -I suppose these contestants are assuming that if several people beat the Commander-in-Chief, no one in particular will be held accountable for making him look bad.

Following the crowd, I decided to compete in these games. I signed up for archery and the foot race. I don’t suppose I have much chance in either, but it could be fun.

I ran into Polites and Euryalus near the registrar. They both signed up for the foot race too. Euryalus was one of those who signed up for the javelin toss after Agamemnon did, however he didn’t join the boxing competition this time around.

In response to Elpenor’s prodding, Epeius did sign up for boxing again. This time the competition looks a bit tougher. -Both Ajax and Diomedes had entered when I last looked at the list.

There was a small feast in the Magnesian camp this evening, and although an open invitation was extended throughout camp, by the time Misenus and I had arrived there wasn’t any food left.

We stayed around for a while and chatted, but got hungry and had to go back to cook our own dinner.

There was a bit of talk going on around camp as to who was going to be awarded Achilles’ breastplate. Unfortunately, a large contingent seems to think Odysseus is going to be the lucky recipient.

I did see Odysseus for a moment today. Although we didn’t discuss who might be the “Custodian of Achilles Spirit”, the shit-eating grin on his face has got me thinking he might be in the pro-Odysseus contingent too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Illiad is one of my favorite books, and I've re-read it more times than any other book besides LoTR and probably the Earthsea Trilogy.

I find this absolutely hilarious, keep up the great work.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Pioneer Woman said...

This was really (bizarre) fun. I was squinting through some of it and that's a good thing.
I'll be back!!!!
Ree

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started reading this blog a few months back and have been coming back to it every single day since the beginning.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home