ϙη′

I had a long chat with Elpenor last night. -He’s taken Epieus’ departure pretty hard.

I did my best to cheer him up by talking about home. Unfortunately, mentioning his kids didn’t help. -I didn’t bring up the fact he has a wife to come back to as well.

I guess I am fortunate in that respect.

We’ve been gone for about ten years now, and I can’t imagine returning to a family after all that has happened. It would be like going back in time, I think.

No doubt, I’m not the same person that left Ithaca so many years ago. I can’t imagine returning to a family that expected to meet that Eurylochus. -Seeing Mom is going to be odd enough. If she’s still about, that is.

I don’t know why I stopped writing her.

Anyway, I did manage to get Elpenor to laugh a few times before I turned in last night. It must have done some good, because he cooked breakfast for Odysseus and us officers this morning.

Unfortunately, Polites had to tell Elpenor that his eggs weren’t as fluffy as Epieus’ were. -Polites can be such a bastard.

Polites got his due, however. -Odysseus immediately ordered him to surrender what eggs he had left.

The weather was nice today, and we are making fairly good time. If it weren’t for that Milesian barge, we’d be doing much better. -That thing is a log with a sail. We’ve continually had to over extend our tacks just to keep the thing in sight.

Oddly, we have brought the Lil’ Tethys with us as well. Unlike the Milesian barge, Baius’ converted fishing craft can outrun any one of our vessels. I can’t believe such a tiny boat is seaworthy. Still, Baius seems to think so. -I’m sure he’d be sailing the Tethys himself if Odysseus hadn’t made him our helmsman.

Currently, the little craft is under the command of a guy named Antiphus. I haven’t met him yet. Apparently Antiphus is an Aetolian captain, but has a cousin or something in Ithaca. -I guess he’s a mariner buddy of Baius, and the General agreed to take him along with us.

Already, the Lil’ Tethys has been useful for carrying messages between our ships.

Not long after dinner, we sighted a sail far to the north of us. As most of the Achaeans headed to the south or west, we don’t think it’s one of ours.

At any rate, not long after it appeared, we lost sight of it. -Odysseus thinks the ship was avoiding us.

Now it’s too dark to see anything.

Because of that damned barge, we don’t have much chance of catching anything. -It’s either we stay with our spoils or we split the fleet.

Anyway, the General has resolved to take the Lil’ Tethys and to find this ship at first light.

I’d better get some rest.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Hurray! I've been looking forward to hearing about the journey home!

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Glad to see you continuing these great chronicles... :)))

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome bro :]

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been waiting for your return :) Thanks !

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
nice to see again.
Happy New Year,

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home