ξβ′

More games.

However, before the competition started, the day began with a strange performance. -Apparently, Nestor wrote a song about Achilles.

Standing with Nestor on the small wooden platform, Agamemnon announced that Nestor had something he wanted to share.

It was kind of odd. Before anyone knew what was going on, Nestor started bellowing out some sort of poem about the deeds of 'The Son of Peleus'. At first it seemed a bit cheesy and uneven, but as he got going, it really wasn’t that bad at all.

Nestor is one of the most boring orators I’ve ever heard. However, he is a damn good poet.

I remember some part of the song went something like: “His bodily might was measureless in the stormy clash of war…” -I guess that sounds cheesy now, but he really delivered it well.

By the end of Nestor’s song, the entire army was cheering. Nestor was overcome with emotion and he started to weep. -I was a bit touched myself.

In all honesty, I think Nestor’s song accomplished something that no one had yet done. -Nestor gave Achilles a sufficient farewell.

Agamemnon must have realized this too. -I later heard the Commander-in-Chief gave Nestor one of his fastest horses out of gratitude.

Anyway, boxing was today.

The Cretian general Idomeneus won. Epieus did pretty well, beating on Acamas so bad they had to call the fight. But, as I predicted, Epieus got his ass kicked by Diomedes.

I don’t know what was worse, watching Diomedes pummel Epieus, or listening to Elpenor scream like a girl every time Epeius was hit. Elpenor was standing by Misenus and I, and we had to leave before it was over because we were so embarrassed.

I think Diomedes could have beat Idomeneus too. However, Idomeneus is a bit older and I think Diomedes was pulling his punches. -Unfortunately, Idomeneus made a long speech about how great he was when he claimed his prize pig.

One-on-one wrestling was this afternoon too. Diomedes won.

The last battle was actually between Diomedes and Odysseus. It was a dramatic fight, and the crowd loved it. However, Odysseus still insisted on wearing Achilles’ breastplate while competing.

Once again, I think the breastplate lost it for him. Diomedes kept grabbing hold of it and swinging Odysseus to the ground. I kind of felt embarrassed for him.

Anyway, Odysseus put up a hell of a fight and made a good showing. -He won a chicken and some wine, which he told me to give to our men.

That was nice of Odysseus. However, I think he gave up his prizes so I wouldn’t be so pissed at him when he asked me to do him a favor.

After the day’s events were done, the General asked that I pay my respects to Ajax. -That wasn’t fun.

I went, but I took Macar with me. Honestly, I was a bit nervous about stepping into the Salamisian camp, and I thought Macar’s nasty disposition might provide some protection.

When we got to Ajax’s tent, he was sleeping. They made us wait outside for about an hour before we could go in. The entire time we just stood there under the hateful glare of Ajax’s guards. -Apollo’s ass, that sucked.

Anyway, Ajax looked really bad. I don’t think he even knew we were there. He was all sweaty and pale, and seemed to be a bit delirious. We just sort of stood at his side for what seemed like an appropriate amount of time and then excused ourselves.

I didn’t even want to say that Odysseus wished Ajax well or anything. -I didn’t think it would be appropriate mentioning Odysseus’ name in his tent.

On the way back, I apologized to Macar. He said it was cool.

I spent the rest of the evening practicing some archery for tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home