θ′

A quieter day.

I have recruited our chief supply officer Macar to help get materials for the Wooden Horse.

Sometimes I wonder if ‘managing’ just means finding other people to do your work.

Anyway, I went over to the Mycenaean camp this morning to put in a large order for nails. The Mycenaeans bring in a lot of our metal goods, and they have a couple of blacksmiths running as well.

Things didn’t go very smoothly. I got a lot of attitude from some goddamned supply lieutenant. He kept asking me what I needed the nails for. I told him that they are for the large construction project, but I couldn’t tell him exactly what that was because it’s classified.

Well, this asshole starts going off about nail specifications and how he absolutely needs to know more project details if he is going to produce the right kind of nails. Really, how many ways can you make a goddamned nail? “Make them pointy on one end, and flat on the other!” I said.

That really set the lieutenant off.

Anyway, I sort of lost my temper too, and walked off while the guy was still talking.

I told Polites what had happened and he suggested that I ask Macar to give me a hand.

Macar laughed when I told him about my trouble with this Myceneaen lieutenant. -I guess that he knows the guy. He smiled and said: “Yeah, that sounds like Medon. That guy is a real hard-ass. Don’t sweat it. I’ll get your nails.”

Macar is actually quite a hard-ass himself, but I’d never tell him that. –I think that it is something about supply officers. You just don’t want to be on their bad side.

Sometime ago, this Athenian captain made the mistake of copping an attitude with Macar while putting in an order for a new bedroll. –Macar had plenty of bedrolls on hand, but he told this guy that he wouldn’t have any available until the next day.

That night, Macar let one of the flea-infested stray dogs hanging about camp enjoy a good night’s sleep on a new bedroll.

Although we thought that it was hilarious, Macar expressed no humor in it. –In fact, if Polites hadn’t caught Macar in the act, no one would have even known that he had done it.

We don’t mess with Macar.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anji said...

Excellent idea!

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genius!

Wooden Horse = Large construction project (wink wink)

:)

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home