ιγ′

Zeus' Mother. The Trojans attacked us.

Just before daybreak, everyone in camp was awoken by the shouts of our watchmen, quickly followed by the sounds of battle.

It wasn’t an all-out attack, but rather a surprise charge lead by Hector, one of the Trojan big shots.

From what I gather, this is what happened:

Very late last night, one of our northern patrols didn’t check in. Although I would assume that this doesn’t typically happen, no one panicked, and I guess that they decided to send out another patrol to go look for them.

Well, it wasn’t long before that patrol got out of eye-shot that screams were heard.

Apparently, Hector and his men had caught our first patrol near one of the villages to the north where they either captured or killed them. The Trojans were then able to assemble a pretty large mass of troops and cavalry which marched on our encampment just before dawn.

Our second patrol stumbled upon them en route.

Although it was unfortunate for that second patrol, their screams gave us enough forewarning that we weren’t completely caught with our pants down.

Anyway, by the time I got out of my tent, I was able to see a mass of Trojan troops, probably six or seven hundred men, rushing down onto the northern end of the Arcadian encampment. These were closely followed by a few dozen Trojan horsemen, one of whom was Hector.

I couldn’t help but think that some of those horses were probably ours.

Well, I guess the Arcadians took it pretty hard.

Most of those guys weren’t able to get out of their tents, much less put on any armor before the Trojans were upon them. I heard that something like eight hundred guys were killed or wounded.

Although I grabbed my sword and immediately ran over to the action, by the time I had gotten there, most of the Trojan foot soldiers were already high-tailing it back to Troy. Some of our guys were giving chase on unsaddled horses, but the Trojan horsemen were playing interference for the retreat.

A few of the really brazen Trojan cavalry were still in the Arcadian camp when I arrived. To be honest, I didn’t make such a wholehearted stand against these guys.

These were well armored Trojan champions, one of whom was Hector.

I could tell it was Hector, because he was shouting his name. He kept yelling: “I am Hector! Son of Priam! Bring it you sonufabitches! Ah, Yeah, that’s right, I am Hector, Son of Priam! Where the hell is that sonufabitch Achilles?!”

Then he would cut off some poor sap’s head.

Most of us guys just stood there looking at him and his crew as they ran about swinging on brave but unarmored Arcadians.

Finally, after a few bloody minutes, there was a thunder of horses and a large group of our commanders rode up.

I thought that Hector and his men were screwed. -We had about twice as many horsemen present, including a few hundred unarmored soldiers with more on the way. However, upon arriving, our commanders stopped short and formed a line facing Hector and his men, about twenty yards distant.

I could see that Odysseus, Ajax, and Agamemnon were together in the front. I tried to look official as I walked up to stand in front of Odysseus. -I wanted him to know that I had at least shown up.

Anyway, everything quickly quieted down and Agamemnon shouted to Hector: “Hector, for what do we owe the honor of your presence on this fine morning?!”

Fucking commanders, I don’t know where they get off talking like this. Here there were scores of guys bleeding all about, and Agamemnon is talking like Hector had just dropped by for breakfast.

Hector responded likewise: “Ah, King Agamemnon, I was just returning the visit that your champion Achilles paid on our people two nights ago! By the way, where is brave Achilles? Sleeping?!”

At this Ajax, looking perturbed, blurted out, “Achilles is not here, asshole!”

This brought some laughter from some of our men that were standing about. Even some of the lying wounded started laughing.

Hector looked taken aback and frowned. He then reared up his horse, and shouted: “Ah, Ajax, King of the Salamisians, then you wouldn’t mind fighting in his stead, would you?!”

No one wants to fight Hector. Hector is the Trojan Achilles.

Still, to his credit, Ajax quickly shouted back: “Sure thing asshole! Name the place!”

With that, Hector said: “Ah, tomorrow, tomorrow at noon Ajax! Meet me halfway between camps! C’mon Trojans!”

With that, Hector wheeled around and he and his remaining men rode off. Some Arcadians tried to chase them or throw things at them, but they were soon called of by Agamemnon and his entourage.

The rest of the day was spent assessing the damage and collecting the wounded.

Odysseus stopped by this evening looking pretty chipper. Before he stepped out, he said: “It looks like we are going to have a hell of a battle to watch tomorrow, eh, Eurylochus?”

I nodded.

“Bring some of that good wine of yours, alright?” Odysseus smiled.

“Yes Sir.” I responded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home